The Swiss have always been a pioneer in medical technology. In the following we present 3 medical technology companies from Basel. All 3 are part of our list of the 100 largest medical technology companies in Switzerland.
- Contains the 100 top-selling medical technology companies from Switzerland from numerous segments such as implants, laboratory technology, surgical systems, orthopedic products, diagnostic systems, medical instruments, etc.
- Excellent level of detail: industry and field of activity, sales if publicly available (2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015), number of employees if publicly available, general contact details, names of the executives, etc.
- Free preview available on request via contact [at] researchgermany.de or live chat.
1. Straumann Holding AG: 1.4 billion CHF turnover
In 1954, engineer Reinhard Straumann founded a research institute of the same name in Waldenburg (BL), which was initially concerned with metallurgical-physical investigations for watchmaking and watch testing equipment. Later, Straumann also experimented with materials in the field of orthopedics and implantology. Straumann AG, founded in 1990, then focused exclusively on dental technology. This evolved into today’s Straumann Group with Straumann Holding as the corporate umbrella. Straumann is a global leader in dental implantology, tooth preservation and regenerative dentistry. Straumann products and services are offered in over 100 countries. The Group employs around 7,300 people. The Straumann share is listed on the Swiss stock exchange, and two-thirds of the shares are in free float.
2. Medartis AG: CHF 125 million turnover
Medartis was founded in 1997 by Thomas Straumann, a grandson of the founder of the Straumann Group. Its purpose was and still is the continuation of the osteosynthesis activities, which were discontinued by the Straumann Group at that time because it wanted to focus only on dental technology. Medartis focuses on titanium parts (screws, plates), surgical instruments and system solutions used in the surgical treatment of bone fractures. They enable internal fracture fixation and bone union at fracture sites. Medartis employs around 650 people.
3. CAMLOG Biotechnologies GmbH: no current turnover available (estimated > CHF 145 million)
The history of CAMLOG began in 1994 as Altatec Medizintechnische Elemente GmbH in Wurmberg (Baden-Württemberg, Germany). In 2004, the company was reorganized into Camlog Biotechnologies in Basel, Altatec GmbH and Camlog Vertriebs GmbH – both located in Wimsheim (Baden-Württemberg). Wimsheim is also the central CAMLOG production site. The company sees itself as a leading manufacturer of complete dental implant systems and products for restorative dentistry. CAMLOG is part of Henry Schein Inc. (New York/USA). The US company offers a wide range of products and services for office-based physicians, dentists and veterinarians.
Picture Source: Unsplash ( Claudio Schwarz, 21.12.21)