Bavaria is home to many large and globally renowned companies, as well as numerous industrial SMEs that are market leaders in their specific segment. These “secret heroes” contribute significantly to the economic strength of the Free State. We present three of them here: The presented companies belong to the largest company in Bavaria.
- Download the list of the 1.000 largest Bavarian companies as a convenient Excel file
- Including valuable information such as industry and field of activity, turnover, number of employees, general contact data, names of the management etc.
- Ideally suited for targeted new customer acquisition, competitive analysis, personnel recruitment and more
- Download valid at any time, free updates within one year, direct download as practical Excel list
1. SCHERDEL GmbH, Marktredwitz: 575 million euros turnover
In 1890, Sigmund Scherdel founded a wire drawing mill in the Fichtelgebirge town of Marktredwitz to produce piano strings. A little later, the company shifted its focus more to technical springs made of wire. This is where the company still has its particular strength today. SCHERDEL is considered the world market leader for piston ring springs, an important component in combustion engines. However, SCHERDEL is a versatile technology group with a diversified portfolio. Important business areas apart from springs are assembly and joining technology, surface technology, automation technology, toolmaking, technical design, mechanical and plant engineering. The company employs around 5,500 people at 32 locations in 12 countries. 10 of these locations are in Germany.
2. Dr. O. K. Wack Chemie GmbH, Ingolstadt: 50 million turnover
The Wack Group proves that even smaller medium-sized companies can be “world champions”. Founded in 1975, the company originally focused only on premium care products for motor vehicles and two-wheelers. The target group is end consumers. The Wack product line is the market leader in this area. In 1990, the company began to build up a second mainstay under the “Zestron” brand: Cleaning media and processes for electronics manufacturing and for cleaning precision parts. The Wack Group is now the world market leader in this field. The umbrella company of the group is Dr. Wack Holding GmbH & Co. KG, Ingolstadt. Dr. O. K. Wack Chemie stands for important parts of the operating business.
3. Erich Netzsch GmbH & Co. Holding KG, Selb: 552 million euros in sales
The Netzsch Group is a family-owned Bavarian mechanical engineering company rich in tradition. Founded in 1873 in Selb, Upper Franconia, the company headquarters was moved to Asch/Bohemia in 1931 in order to start anew in Selb in 1946 – after the 2nd World War. Machines are produced in the fields of “Analyzing and Testing” (thermoanalytical equipment for R&D), “Grinding and Dispersing” (dispersing machines for process engineering preparation) and “Pumps and Systems”. The Netzsch Group is the world leader in progressive cavity pumps (“Pumps and Systems” segment). The world market share is around 25 percent. The pumps sector accounts for almost half of the turnover. The group employs approx. 3,700 people.
Image source: Unsplash