List of the 5 largest construction suppliers in Germany
Construction materials, construction chemicals, construction tools, building services engineering, construction equipment and construction-related services – the construction supply industry in Germany is multi-faceted and has been able to profit from the construction boom in recent years. In addition to many medium-sized companies, there are also a number of large players on the market. These are the TOP 5:
1. Heidelberg Materials AG (formerly HeidelbergCement AG), Heidelberg
HeidelbergCement is one of the largest building materials suppliers in the world. The Group employs around 60,000 people and is represented in around 60 countries around the globe. HeidelbergCement operates more than 140 cement plants, 1470 ready-mixed concrete plants and 600 aggregates production sites worldwide. Today’s Group developed from a Heidelberger Zementfabrik founded in 1873. The entrepreneur Ludwig Merckle holds a quarter of the HeidelbergCement shares, the rest is in free float.
Update 2022: HeidelbergCement AG supports Stadtwerke Heidelberg with a new energy system in the form of a heat storage facility. The energy and future storage facility is a milestone in Heidelberg’s energy concept. The almost 60-meter-high structure also houses a restaurant including a viewing terrace that provides a panoramic view of the Rhine plain.
2. Adolf Würth GmbH & Co. KG, Künzelsau
The Adolf Würth GmbH & Co. KG forms the core of the family-owned Würth Group, one of the world’s leading trading groups for fastening and assembly materials as well as tools. Würth started out as a screw trading company in Künzelsau in 1945, which became a globally operating group with 78,000 employees. The Group has about 3 million customers, mainly from the construction industry, the wood and metal processing trades, the automotive sector and also from industry.
Update 2023: Business at the Würth Group continues to be good. Not only for this reason, but also for this reason, the construction supplier continues to be socially committed. Most recently, EUR 400,000 was donated to the UN Children’s Fund UNICEF. The donation is intended to give children in Sri Lanka access to high-quality education and psychosocial support.
3. Gebr. Knauf KG, Iphofen
The history of Gebr. Knauf KG began in 1932 as a gypsum mine and gypsum works in Saarland. After the 2nd World War, a new start was made in Iphofen in Lower Franconia. Today, Gebr. Knauf KG is a globally operating group and leading manufacturer of systems for dry construction, flooring, plaster and façades. The family-owned company Knauf produces and sells in 86 countries around the world and has around 35,000 employees.
4. Viessmann Werke GmbH & Co. KG, Allendorf (Eder)
Heating technology (boilers, heating systems, heat pumps), industrial and cooling systems are the speciality of the Viessmann factories in Allendorf, North Hesse. Viessman started out in 1917 as an agricultural locksmith’s shop in Hof, Bavaria. In 1928, production of heating boilers began, and in 1937 the company moved to Allendorf. Today, the company has over 12,000 employees in 12 countries and sells its products worldwide. More than half of the turnover is achieved outside Germany.
5. REHAU AG + Co, Muri near Bern/Rehau
REHAU is a group of companies based in Switzerland, with its roots in Rehau im Hofer Land. The REHAU Group is a leading polymer processor and supplier for various industries. Although Muri near Bern is the official company headquarters, the head office is still located in Rehau. The construction business is operated from Erlangen-Eltersdorf. Here REHAU supplies materials and equipment for structural and civil engineering, interior design and industrial construction.
This information is included in the directory
- Company name
- General contact data (address, e-mail address, telephone number, URL)
- Serial letter suitable for addressing the management (e.g. “Sehr geehrter Herr Dr. Müller”)
- Name of the management
- Sales figures for the years 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015 as well as employee figures for the years 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 (taken from the annual and consolidated financial statements)
- Field of activity
Note: If the sales and employee figures are not included in a company’s own financial statements but in the parent company’s consolidated financial statements, the data from the respective consolidated financial statements are provided.
Picture source: Yusuf Onuk via Unsplash (21.06.2023)
Our list covers the following areas and industries
- Building materials (concrete, cement, mortar, stones, sand, plaster etc.): e.g. HeidelbergCement AG, Gebr. Knauf KG
- Construction chemistry (adhesives, sealants, concrete chemistry, coatings etc.): e.g. Sievert AG
- Electrical industry (lighting technology, cables, switches, building automation etc.): e.g. Gira Giersiepen GmbH & Co. KG
- Building services (heating technology, chimneys, lifts, pipes etc.): e.g. Viessmann Werke GmbH & Co. KG
- Windows, doors, garage doors, fittings, profiles, locking systems etc.: e.g. Westag & Getalit AG
- Other: sanitary products, floor coverings, worktops, fire protection, kitchens etc.
Any questions? Get in touch!
Leo Semmelmann, Founder
contact [at] researchgermany.com
+49 (0) 89 38466606
We are looking forward to help you in case of any questions, remarks and individual requests. Feel free to get in touch via email, live chat or phone. We can also offer you package prices and can create individual lists.