Apart from East Frisia, Germany is not a classic tea country. Compared to countries like Turkey, Great Britain, Ireland or Russia, the consumption of tea is limited. On average, each German citizen consumes a good 1.5 pounds of tea per year. Nevertheless, there are some well-known tea companies in this country. These are the 3 largest.
The listed companies are part of our list of the 200 largest food producers in Germany.
- Excel list of the 300 top-selling German food manufacturers for download
- Includes: sales (2015-2018), number of employees, e-mail, address, telephone number, management, etc.
- Detailed information on the industry (dairy, bakeries, meat products, confectionery, coffee & tea, beverage producers & breweries, food chemistry, fish, etc.)
- Download of the Excel file valid indefinitely, free updates within one year after purchase, free preview file available
- Last update: 14.05.2020
1st place: J. Bünting Teehandelshaus GmbH & Comp., Leer: 1.5 billion euros turnover (2018)
The Bünting Group is headquartered in Leer – in the middle of Germany’s No. 1 tea region East Frisia. J. Bünting Teehandelshaus GmbH & Comp., founded in 1806, is the core company of the group. East Frisian tea is still the best-known Bünting product. Apart from tea, Bünting is also involved in other businesses and operates various supermarkets, hypermarkets and food discount stores in the northwest of Germany. The group, which is divided into numerous individual companies, employs a total of over 12,000 people.
2nd place: Martin Bauer GmbH & Co. KG, Vestenbergsgreuth: > 600 million euros turnover (2019)
The Martin Bauer Group in Vestenbergsgreuth in Central Franconia can trace its origins back to 1930. Herbal, fruit and medicinal teas, flavoured black and green teas form the core business of the company. In addition, Martin Bauer also supplies tea, herbal and fruit extracts for the production of hot and cold drinks, dairy products, baby food and confectionery. The extracts are also used in phytopharmaceuticals and food supplements. The group consists of over 20 companies operating worldwide and has over 4,000 employees.
Place 3: Teekanne GmbH & Co. KG, Düsseldorf: sales of 267 million euros (2017/18)
Teekanne was founded in 1882 in Dresden as a tea shop. The brand “Teekanne” has been around since 1888 and Teekanne is considered the inventor of the teabag when the first teabags were launched in 1929. After the 2nd World War the company was rebuilt in the West. Today, Teekanne is the world’s leading tea bag manufacturer with an annual output of more than 7.5 billion tea bags. Teekanne employs around 1,200 people and is represented in 8 countries.
Picture source: Manki Kim
You might like these articles:
- The largest project developers from the canton of Zurich – Our list
- A portrait of a Swiss real estate investor and developer: Zug Estates
- A portrait of a Zurich developer and real estate investor: SFP
These lists may interest you:
Originally posted on June 23, 2020 @ 2:16 pm