Lower Saxony is not a classic engineering state. With 55,000 employees and an annual turnover of more than one billion euros in Lower Saxony, the state cannot compete with the southern German regions in terms of mechanical engineering. Nevertheless, there are some well-known mechanical engineering companies here as well. We present the three largest ones.
These are also part of our list of the top 100 mechanical engineering companies in Germany.
- Excel list of the 100 top-selling German mechanical engineering companies for download
- Includes: sales (2015-2018), number of employees, e-mail, address, telephone number, management, etc.
- Detailed information on the field of activity (production technology, energy plants, construction machinery, packaging machinery, etc.)
- Download of the Excel file valid indefinitely, free updates within one year after purchase, free preview file available
- Last update: 23.04.2020
1st place: Enercon GmbH, Aurich: 4.5 billion euros turnover (2019)
Enercon in Aurich in East Frisia was founded in 1984 by wind power pioneer Aloys Wobben and is the market leader in wind turbines. To date, over 30,000 turbines have been installed in more than 45 countries worldwide.
The company employs over 14,000 people. The wind turbines – including ring generators, inverters, rotor blades, cast components, towers, and nacelles – are almost completely manufactured in Enercon production facilities.
2nd place: Focke & Co. (GmbH & Co. KG), Verden: approx. 409 million euros turnover (no current turnover available)
Focke & Co. is a family business that was founded in Bremen in 1955 before moving to Verden in 1961 due to lack of space. Besides Verden, the company has production sites in Berlin-Reinickendorf, Hamburg, Barßel, and Greensboro (North Carolina).
Packaging machines for the tobacco industry are the core business of Focke & Co. However, the company also manufactures packaging machines for non-tobacco companies in the consumer goods industry.
3rd place: Aerzener Maschinenfabrik GmbH, Aerzen: 400 million EUR turnover (2018)
Since 1864 Aerzen near Hameln has been the seat of Aerzener Maschinenfabrik GmbH. The owner-managed family business is leading in the field of twin-shaft Positive Displacement machines worldwide.
Positive Displacement Blowers, Screw Compressors, Rotary Lobe Compressors, Turbo Blowers, and corresponding control technology form the product portfolio. Fields of application are found in many industrial sectors – from mining to the chemical industry and semiconductor production. Aerzener Maschinenfabrik has about 2.500 employees.
Picture source: Suganth
You might like these articles:
- List of the 5 Largest Mechanical Engineering Companies in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW)
- List of the 3 Largest Mechanical Engineering Companies in Hessen
- List of the 3 Largest Mechanical Engineering Companies in Hamburg